The John Rutledge House Inn is well known for its history, beautiful wrought iron work, and central location in downtown Charleston. If you’ve ever had a taste of our Stuffed French Toast, you know that it also deserves to be one of our claims to fame. We serve up this breakfast specialty on certain mornings as a treat for our guests to enjoy in the comfort of their cozy room, in our courtyard, in our historic ballroom, or our breezy piazza.
If you enjoy sweet, fruity, cinnamon-laced breakfast goodies, you will not be disappointed with this twist on a classic. The best part of this breakfast special is that you can easily recreate this in your own kitchen. While your view at breakfast might not be as sweet as the piazza at the John Rutledge House Inn, we’re confident your French Toast will be just as good. Use the recipe below on mornings when you want to be reminded of your time at our charming bed and breakfast.
John Rutledge House Inn’s Stuffed French Toast
¼ cup Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp honey
¼ cup whipped cream cheese
½ cup strawberry preserves
1 cup fresh cut strawberries
6-8 slices of Ashley Bakery Cinnamon Brioche
1 ½ cups whole milk
4 large eggs
1/8 ground nutmeg
1/8 ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
1/8 vanilla extract
2 tbsp cooking oil
- Cut Bread into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Combine yogurt, honey, and cream cheese.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla; pour into large shallow dish.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium heat 2-3 minutes.
- Place bread in egg mixture; soak 20 seconds, turning occasionally.
- Place butter and oil in the pan, then place bread in pan; cook 2-3 minutes on the first side or until golden.
- Turn bread over. Squeeze 2 tbsps cream cheese mixture over two slices and 2 tbsp preserves and strawberries over the two slices.
- Cook 1-2 minutes or until golden.
- Assemble bread making a sandwich with one slice of each; remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining bread.
Enjoy luxurious accommodations and gracious hospitality at the John Rutledge House Inn. Located in the heart of Historic Charleston, the inn offers rich history, luxurious rooms and suites, and wonderful complimentary amenities. Each room at the John Rutledge House Inn includes daily complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, and 24-hour concierge service. Visit here or call 800-976-9741 to learn more.